November 27, 2012

Homemade Kahlua & Fun Drink Recipes to try with it!

After posting those few fun Thanksgiving cocktails last week, my mind moved to Christmas type cocktails. While I was rearranging my fridge for all the Thanksgiving leftovers, I came across 2 bottles of my aunt's homemade Kahlua. She would make this every year to go along with our gift. I was thinking this is a great gift idea for co-workers, neighbors, friends, and you could include a little hanging recipe card of your favorite drink.

Homemade Kahlua
2 cups hot water
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon instant coffee
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 cups vodka
1/2 cup good brandy

In a pan on low to medium heat combine sugar, coffee, vanilla and water. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Set aside until completely cool then add vodka and brandy. Be sure it is completely cool or some of the alcohol WILL evaporate. Funnel into bottles and let set for six weeks.


Now that you have made your Kahlua or have some at home, here are a few fun holiday themed martini recipes to use with your Kahlua. I was excited to try the Toblerone Martini, since I bought some Disarrono back in the summer and the only thing I knew with that one was to mix with cranberry.

Toblerone Martini
2 oz DiSarrono Amaretto liqueur
2 oz Kahlua coffee liqueur
2 oz Bailey’s (if you want a little “lighter” drink, substitute half and half for the Bailey’s

To make this more fun and decorative, you can rim the glass with chocolate sprinkles, or shavings, or pour chocolate syrup inside the glass before pouring (like I did), or just top with whipped cream and put a few Toblerone shavings on top from Unusual Cocktail and Drinks.



Gingerbread Cookie Martini
1oz Vodka ( i think my whipped cream vodka would be divine here)
1 oz Baileys Irish creme 
1/2 oz Monin gingerbread syrup 
1/2 oz Kahlua 

Rim glass with graham cracker crumbs. Shake with ice. Strain into glass. Top with whipped cream & gingerbread cookie.



Espresso Martini
1.5 parts Kahlua
1 part ABSOLUT VODKA
1 fresh brewed espresso

Fill a shaker with ice, add Kahlua, vodka, and a fresh brewed espresso. Shake vigorously, and strain into a chilled martini glass from Brides. If you want this to be more creamier, you could add some Bailey's or half and half.



S'moretini

1 1/2 oz marshmallow vodka (Try Pinnacle Marshmallow Vodka)
3/4 oz white creme de cacao
1/4 oz Kahlua
1 1/2 oz Irish cream

For decor: chocolate syrup (some for rimming the glass & some for the marshmallow), 1/2 sheet of a graham cracker (crushed into little crumbs), 1 big marshmallow from Cocktail 365.


For more fun drink recipes check out my Pinterest "Yummy Drink" page.

6 comments :

  1. All of these look so decadent and amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Need to make some of these... love Irish cream and it has to be Baileys!
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've just reminded me what I love most about the holidays. heehee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look AMAZING!!!!! Thank you so much for all of your absolutely sweet comments. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!
    Whitley
    wwww.thequeencitystyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok…fabulous gift idea! You just completed my gift baskets for my friends! Love these ideas and recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of making it homemade! what a great gift!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogger Template by DESIGNER BLOGS